Year Round Activities:
- Ongoing Water Quality Monitoring
- Rotary Screw Trap (Out-migration Monitoring)
- Fish trapping in upper watershed to determine and map fish use
- Watershed Model Touring and Tsolum Field Trips for elementary schools
- Spawning salmon enumeration every fall
- Outreach/Display Season; we regularly attend Vancouver Island Musicfest, CV Exhibition, and CV Farmer's market.
Out-Migration 2018- Rotary Screw Trap and Fish Fences
The Rotary Screw Trap 2017 out-migration estimated that 354,997 chum exited the Tsolum River in spring 2017. Estimates for other species were over 4,000 pinks, over 5,000 coho smolts, 5,000 coho fry, and nearly 2,000 rainbow/steelhead parr. Volunteers are needed to help with this annual monitoring work. If you want to be participate in hands on fish biology from April through May, send us a note on our Contacts page.
Fall Salmon Counting
Teams conduct spawning salmon counts every fall. If you want to be part of this annual volunteer work, send us a note on our Contacts page.
Check out images of some of our activities and projects below!